*** If you wish to find out if your household could be affected by a power outage today, please visit the following website: www.pge.com/rotatingoutages. ***
As previously mentioned, the California Independent System Operator (CAISO) (the organization that manages the state’s power grid) announced a series of Flex Alerts (A Flex Alert is a call for customers to voluntarily conserve electricity when there is a predicted shortage of energy supply) amid forecasts of extended, above-normal temperatures across the state. Extreme heat is forecasted to last at least through Thursday and is expected to increase demand for electricity at a very high rate due to these above-average temperatures.
To help prevent power outages, today’s Flex Alert was issued for 2:00pm to 9:00pm. Please remember that in order to conserve as much energy as possible, PG&E strongly urges customers to reduce their use of electricity by following these conservation tips:
- Raise the thermostat: Cool homes and use air conditioners more during morning hours. Set the thermostat to 78 degrees when at home during the rest of the day, health permitting. Turn it up to 85 degrees or turn it off when not at home.
- Use a ceiling fan: Turn on a ceiling fan when using the air conditioner, which will allow the thermostat to be raised about 4 degrees to save on cooling costs with no reduction in comfort. Turn off fans and lights when you leave the room.
- Cover windows: Use shade coverings and awnings so the air conditioner won’t have to work as hard to cool the home.
- Avoid using the oven: Instead, cook on the stove, use a microwave or grill outside.
- Limit the opening of refrigerators, which are major users of electricity in most homes. The average refrigerator is opened 33 times a day.
- Clean clothes and dishes early: Use large energy-consuming appliances like washing machines and dishwashers earlier in the day or late at night after 10:00 pm.
If you wish to find out if your household could be affected by a power outage today, please visit the following website: www.pge.com/rotatingoutages.
For more information about Flex Alerts visit the Flex Alerts website. To monitor the CAISO grid conditions, visit the following website: http://www.caiso.com/TodaysOutlook/Pages/default.aspx