Information for Home Owners and Realtors
Tips to consider when selecting a contractor to work on your private sewer lateral:
- Use Google or the Yellow Pages to search for licensed plumbing or related contractors.
- Use the District's Pre-Qualified Contractor List for the Private Sewer Lateral Program. Please note this list is provided for the convenience of our customers. The list may not include all qualified licensed contractors within Marin County and the surrounding areas. The listing of contractors on the District's Pre-Qualified Contractor List should not be assumed to be a recommendation or endorsement by the District.
- ALWAYS check qualifications through the California Department of Consumer Affairs Contractors State Licensing Board. The Contractors State License Board (CSLB) protects consumers by regulating the construction industry through policies that promote the health, safety, and general welfare of the public in matters relating to construction. You should look up a contractor license or Home Improvement Salesperson (HIS) registration to verify information, including complaint disclosure. CSLB recommends you read their Hiring a Contractor page before hiring a contractor or signing a contract.
Important information regarding CCTV InspectionsSanitary District No. 2 is now accepting and reviewing CCTV inspections for sewer laterals using a cloud-based platform called Forward Lateral. The Forward Lateral software allows SD2 staff to review CCTV inspections promptly. Homeowners and realtors can track the progress of the CCTV review and the results regarding the sewer lateral after SD2 reviews the CCTV recording. This process is how SD2 determines whether a property owner needs a sewer permit.
Please note that if you are a homeowner and/or realtor and have hired a contractor, you should ask your contractor to include your contact information, but most importantly, your email address in the "owner" section of the application of the Forward Lateral platform (NOTE: multiple email addresses can be added in that section of the application). By having your contractor include your email address, you alongside the contractor, will be able to receive email notifications throughout the entire review process.
Additionally, homeowners and realtors are not required to create an account with forward lateral. This is the responsibility of the contractor, assuming the contractor decides to use this service. Therefore, we highly recommend you request your contractor use this platform and we recommend you verify they have your email address written correctly. After that point, it is up to the contractor to finish the submission process and once that is complete SD2 staff will begin the review of the application.
The waiting period that is part of the old submission process is eliminated thanks to Forward Lateral and the features available through their platform.
Although we are very excited to use this platform, it is currently optional for the submission process for the Town is in a trial phase. To learn more about Forward Lateral, please visit their website: goforwardlateral.com.
Requirements for performing work in the Town and District
Information for Contractors
CSLB has Licensing Classifications. To learn about CSLB licensing classifications, please click here. For your convenience, we have listed our Classification requirements here.
1. All sewer work requiring shoring shall be performed by a licensed contractor holding an A Classification and/or C-34 Classification.
2. All work on private sewer laterals shall be performed by a licensed contractor holding an A Classification, C-34 Classification, C-36 Classification and/or C-42 Classification.
3. All trench work and pavement repairs within any public right-of-way shall be performed by a licensed contractor holding an A Classification, C-12 Classification, and/or C-34 Classification.
4. All CCTV work and inspection reports shall be performed by a licensed plumber, contractor or technician with a current NASSCO Certification (To learn about their certification training and education, click here).
Property owners may perform private sewer work on their own property.
For more information on SD2 regulations and other standards and specifications, please click here.
Electronic Submissions of Sewer Lateral Inspections
Sanitary District No. 2 is now accepting and reviewing sewer lateral inspections using a cloud-based platform called Forward Lateral. The Forward Lateral software allows SD2 staff to review inspections promptly. Use of this platform will be optional in this trial phase with the municipality. To learn more about Forward Lateral, please visit their website: goforwardlateral.com. You can also check out the video below. This video will show you how to submit a sewer lateral inspection.
Contractors choosing to use this service are required to register a new account or log into an existing account. To do that, please go to the Forward Lateral Account Page. Please note that in the application process, under the section for "owner" information, you should include an email address for the homeowner and/or realtor you are working for. This way, they can also receive notifications about their property and the review process as SD2 staff works through the inspection.
The Sanitary District No. 2 of Marin County, A Subsidiary District of the Town of Corte Madera, invites all interested licensed contractors to submit their company information for inclusion on the District’s Pre-Qualified Contractor List for the Private Sewer Lateral Program.
When an inspection of a sewer lateral is required, property owners will need to hire a contractor who provides various types of sewer evaluation, repair, excavation, replacement and improvement services. Contractors who are registered on the District's Pre-Qualified Contractor List for sewer lateral work will be recommended to property owners.
The District invites all interested licensed contractors to submit their company information by filling out the Contractor Pre-Qualification Form for the Private Sewer Lateral Program for inclusion on the Town's Pre-Qualified Informal Contractor List.
Mail completed forms to:
Sanitary District No. 2
300 Tamalpais Drive
Corte Madera, CA 94925
For additional information, please contact Sanitary District No. 2 at (415) 927-5057.
Contractor Pre-Qualification Form (PDF)