Sanitary District No. 2

Sanitary District No. 2 was incorporated on January 21, 1901, and was re-incorporated as a subsidiary district to the Town of Corte Madera (Town) on January 15, 1969.  The District provides sewage collection services for the Town, limited areas of the surrounding communities of Larkspur and Tiburon, and certain unincorporated land within Marin County.  These services include the installation and maintenance of sanitary sewer pipelines and pump stations, regulation of sanitary sewer connections, and waste collection services within the boundary of the District.

Treatment of sanitary sewer flow is provided by the Central Marin Sanitation Agency (CMSA).  Waste collection services are provided by Mill Valley Refuse.

Report a Sewer Emergency

If you notice any the following issues in your neighborhood, please report it by calling Sanitary District No. 2 at 628-253-1158, or Central Marin Police dispatch (415-927-5150) as soon as possible:
  • Overflow of sewage from a manhole cover
  • Overflow of sewage from a pump station location
  • Sewage smell coming from a creek or other waterbody

Contact Us

If you have questions about sanitary sewer or waste disposal services, please contact us by...
  • Phone:  628-253-1158
  • Email:
  • Mail:  Sanitary District No. 2,
    240 Tamal Vista Blvd, Suite 110
    Corte Madera, CA 94925

Do I need a permit?

Sanitary District No. 2 issues permits for all work on the public portion of the sewer collection system.  Work requiring a permit includes:
  • Repair of an existing sewer lateral
  • Installation of a new sewer lateral
  • New connection to a sewer main
  • Installation of a grease trap/interceptor
  • Certain residential/commercial remodels that impact the sewer lateral

How do I get a permit?

Obtaining a sanitary sewer permit involves the following steps:
  • Prepare a plan and/or description of the proposed work and review the permit checklist
  • Complete a Sewer Permit Application
  • Submit the application and payment (click here for the Credit Card Authorization Form) to the District at
  • Pick up the approved permit and pay any applicable fees