Green Building Code Updates
The Town of Corte Madera is considering updates to its green building code to increase energy savings in single-family residential remodels and incentivize electric vehicle adoption. The updates would be modeled after Marin County’s green building reach codes that go above and beyond the State minimum standards.
The County’s requirements include:
- Residential projects of 750 square feet or more must achieve additional energy savings through implementing a set of energy efficiency and/or electrification measures, selected from a menu of choices.
- Residential projects that upgrade the main electrical service panel must be EV ready by providing necessary electrical infrastructure to support EV charging.
- Multi-family and nonresidential properties that modify their parking lot or electrical service panel must install EV support infrastructure.
Community members are invited to share their feedback on these potential code changes. There are multiple opportunities to get involved:
- Participate in an upcoming community event or public meeting. Events will be announced here (below), in the Town newsletter, and on the Town’s Facebook and Nextdoor accounts.
- Attend Climate Action Committee meetings for project updates and to provide public comment. Climate Action Committee meetings are held the third Wednesday of each month at 4:30pm.
- Sign up to receive project updates by email.
If you have any questions about this project, please contact Climate Action and Adaptation Coordinator Phoebe Goulden at email@example.com or (628) 258-0327.
No upcoming events scheduled at this time. Please check back for updates.
Climate Action Committee Meeting - Wednesday, July 19th at 4:30pm
The Climate Action Committee discussed draft reach codes for renovation projects at their July 19th meeting. If you missed the meeting, you can review the agenda packet or watch the video recording of the meeting.
Planning Commission Meeting - Tuesday, July 11th at 7:00pm
The Planning Commission discussed draft reach codes for renovations at their July 11, 2023 meeting. The Commission provided comments and feedback to staff on the draft code provided in the agenda packet for the meeting.
Climate Action Committee Meeting - Wednesday, May 31st at 4:30pm
The Corte Madera Climate Action Committee discussed potential reach codes for renovations at their meeting on Wednesday, May 31st. If you missed the meeting, you can review the agenda packet or watch the video recording of the meeting.
Community Workshop - Wednesday, May 24th, 2023 at 7:00pm
The Town held a community workshop on Wednesday, May 24th that covered potential changes to the Town’s green building code and provided the opportunity for community members to ask questions and share feedback. If you missed the workshop, you can view the presentation slides or watch the video recording below.
- Marin County Green Building Model Reach Code and Ordinance Development
- Marin County Policy Summary: Existing Single-Family Residential Building Renovations
- Marin County Policy Summary: Electric Vehicle Reach Code
- Marin County Green Building Requirements: Frequently Asked Questions
- Green Building Codes and Resources